(Cross-posted from my Facebook page.)
I’ve been tagged by Kim Zollman Rendfeld to list five things about my main character in my current work in progress. Like Kim, I’m going to fudge a little because my WIP isn’t really my WIP, but I am doing final edits on The Fortune, so I’m going with my protagonist in that–Jack Mallory.
1) Jack did not come by piracy in the usual way. To search for his mother who had been kidnapped by pirates, he followed the axiom, “It takes one to know one,” and went “on the account” by acquiring a vessel through leading a mutiny.
2) Jack has some serious emotional baggage and has a penchant for emotional self-flagellation. Throw in a stubborn streak and a messed up love life.
3) Jack is not your usual brawny hero. He’s rather slight of build and refined in looks. But rest assured, ladies, he’s easy on the eyes.
4) Jack is an only child. His siblings either died at birth or shortly thereafter.
5) Jack’s best friend is Josiah Smith, who nearly killed Jack when they first met. Smith serves not only as Jack’s quartermaster aboard the Prodigal but as a surrogate father to Jack.